Change up your fall side dishes and serve these make-ahead Cheesy Chipotle Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes!
Are you a stickler for tradition and always have the same side dishes on your Thanksgiving table or are you adventurous and like to change things up?
If you fall in the latter and are looking for something outside of the box, these Cheesy Chipotle Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes will wow all of your guests!
Filled with smoky chipotle peppers, sour cream and cheese in each bite, these twice baked sweet potatoes are anything but run of the mill and are a great addition to your Thanksgiving table.
The savory/sweet combination is fantastic and adds a bright flavor to an otherwise boring dish. Not to mention that with the individual portions you don’t need to worry about if you have enough food.
Simply put, they are amazing and need to join your Thanksgiving feast.
I’ve heard of twice baked potatoes, but twice baked sweet potatoes?
Yes, you read that right. One bite and you may never go back to plain potatoes. And don’t worry, these sweet potatoes aren’t just for the holidays. Our recipe for Cheesy Chipotle Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes will quickly move into your regular side dish rotation.
Here are a few tips for making twice baked sweet potatoes:
- Make sure the potatoes you get are similar in size as this makes baking them a breeze.
- Set your sour cream and butter out when you put the potatoes in the oven. Having them room temperature helps them incorporate more easily into the cooked potato flesh.
- Don’t forget the garnish! Not only does it add some color, but the cilantro flavor is a great pair to the smoky chipotle peppers.
No worries if you aren’t a fan of cilantro. Swap it out for some Italian parsley and you’ll still have a winning side.
Can I make these Cheesy Chipotle Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes ahead of time?
Absolutely. You can make them a couple days ahead of time and reheat in the oven before eating. Just be sure to pull them out of the refrigerator an hour before you want to pop them in the oven as this will drastically reduce your cooking time.
So go ahead and add something different to your holiday meal this year with this recipe for Cheesy Chipotle Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes!
- 6 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Kerrygold salted butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup-3/4 cup Kerrygold Savory Cheddar Shreds plus additional for top
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
1.Preheat oven to 400 and line a small jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce each several time with a fork to release steam when baking and place on prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until fork comes out easily when pierced and remove from oven.
3.When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut the top off of the potatoes and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl. Leave just enough potato in the skin to help it keep its shape. Repeat with each sweet potato. Discard the tops and set the skins back on the pan.
4. Add the butter and sour cream to the bowl and mash the sweet potatoes until smooth.
5. Add lime juice, brown sugar, chipotle peppers, garlic, and green onions. Stir until combined.
6. Add Kerrygold Savory Cheddar Shreds and stir.
7. Scoop the sweet potato filling back into the potato skins and sprinkle additional cheese on top.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
9. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 118gFiber: 65gSugar: 13gProtein: 12g