Welcome spring in a flavorful way with a generous bowl of this Carrot Ginger Soup!
A few years ago I had lunch with my mom on one of the first nice days of spring. We were lucky enough to score a table outside on a bright, sunny day, and I gobbled my way through a version of this Carrot Ginger Soup.
Now I don’t know if it was the gorgeous weather, the lovely company or the amazing meal, but the memory of that soup left a lasting impression on me. Lucky for me (and you!), I recreated the recipe at home, and now this craveable Carrot Ginger Soup can be enjoyed rain or shine all year long.
With just a handful of ingredients, this Carrot Ginger Soup recipe comes together with minimal effort. Love that! Chunks of sweet carrots and savory onions are sautéed with nuggets of sweet potatoes, garlic and a hefty dose of fresh ginger. Stir in some vegetable broth, salt, pepper and cumin, simmer for 30 minutes, and then puree the soup until it’s silky smooth. The texture is light and velvety but still substantial.
You can garnish this soup with just about anything. A dollop of plain Greek yogurt, fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped nuts or a sprinkle of cumin are all great options. Get creative!
If you’re looking to get out of your salad rut, this Carrot Ginger Soup makes an excellent first course in lieu of the usual greens. It would also be super cute in little shot glasses on an appetizer buffet. Me? I didn’t wait for a party or special occasion; it was my lunch all last week!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, chopped carrot (I used one large bunch of carrots)
- 1 cup peeled, chopped sweet potato (about 1 medium potato)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil, onion, carrots and sweet potatoes and gently saute for 5-10 minutes or until onion is translucent but not browned. Stir in garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute. Pour in vegetable broth and stir in salt, pepper and cumin. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until carrots and sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Transfer mixture to blender in batches and puree. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your preference.
You can also use an immersion blender or food mill to puree the soup. If using a regular blender, be careful to only fill the blender jar half full of hot liquid and secure the lid with a dish towel before blending.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 508mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g