Need an easy breakfast for a crowd? This naturally gluten-free Cheesy Sausage, Hash Brown, & Egg Casserole comes together in minutes and will be ready to eat 30 minutes later.
I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to do after enjoying a cocktail (or two!) and a big meal with friends is to start prepping breakfast for the next day.
Don't get me wrong, I love a great overnight egg bake, but sometimes I don't want to have to think about breakfast until the next morning. And that my friends is where this Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown Casserole comes into play.
Simple, easy to throw together and on the table within an hour. If that doesn't make hosting a brunch easy, I'm not sure what does.
This list is short, sweet and forgiving. Don't have something on the list-sub in your favorites!
- hash browns
- mushrooms (optional)
- red pepper
The key to making this brunch dish stand out from the rest is browning the hash browns before you put them in the pan. Not only does this cut down on cooking time, but it also adds great texture to the dish.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
- Brown the hash browns and onions in a frying pan.
- Remove hash brown and onion mixture from pan.
- Add sausage to pan and cook until done.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl, add milk and whisk until combined.
- Add mustard, salt and pepper, and whisk
- Add 1 ½ cups cheese and peppers and stir to coat.
- Pour hash brown and onion mixture into prepared pan.
- Top with sausage and any additional veggies.
- Pour egg and cheese mixture over top.
- Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes.
I used cheddar in mine but you can swap in your favorites! If you can swing it, take the time to shred your own. Bagged cheese is coated so it won't clump together in the bag, so fresh is always best. But believe me, I have made it with pre-shredded cheese more time than I can count and it still tastes amazing.
Absolutely! I love to add mushrooms, onions, and peppers when I make it, but the sky is the limit!
Just be sure to throw your favorite veggies in a pan and give them a quick sauté before you add them to the hash browns, if you don't the excess water will make your dish runny.
No one likes soggy hash browns.
Another reason I love this breakfast dish? It's so versatile. Whether you add ham, sausage or bacon, it's all delicious in this dish. And if you are feeling really crazy, add more than one.
Make Ahead Tips
This easy brunch dish can be pulled together at the last minute or done ahead of time.
If you want to get it prepped the night before you can! Here's how.
- Simply follow the recipe and cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Pull the dish out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 45- 60 minutes or until cheese is browned and eggs are set.
Best way to cook hash browns
Follow these simple steps to get crispy hash browns every single time.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat.
- Add hashbrowns and spread out evenly in pan.
- Cook for 7 minutes and do not stir.
- Drizzle with an additional tablespoon of oil and flip.
- Cook for another 7 minutes and remove from heat.
If you like your hash browns not as crispy, simply cut down on the cooking time.
Brunch is one of our favorite meals! Check out these other breakfast casserole recipes
- One bite of this Fireman's Overnight Breakfast Casserole and you see why it's so popular!
- This Overnight Caramel Pecan French Toast is perfect for entertaining a group!
- Get the work done ahead of time with an Overnight Egg Bake recipe.
Check out all of our breakfast + brunch recipes.
Cheesy Sausage, Hash Brown & Egg Casserole.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 20-ounce package hash browns
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese I used Cheddar
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 2 cups ham bacon or sausage (I used a package of Jimmy Dean Meat Lovers mix.)
- Warm butter and oil in a medium skillet. Add hash browns and onion and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk. Add milk and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add mustard, salt, and pepper and whisk.
- Add cheese and red pepper and stir to coat.
- Pour potato and onion mixture into a greased 11 -inch oval baking dish and top with meat. Pour egg mixture over top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until lightly browned around edges and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.
This Cheesy Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown Casserole is an easy breakfast egg bake that easily feeds a group!