Don’t let the gorgeous color fool you into thinking this is a super sweet drink! Easy to make as a batch cocktail, these Blueberry Margaritas are my new favorite summer drink.
It’s no secret that we love our cocktails here at Garnish with Lemon, and tequila is at the top of the list. But super sweet drinks aren’t our thing. You don’t need to worry about that with these Blueberry Margaritas. The vibrant color fools you into thinking that the drink is super sweet and syrupy, but this cocktail is the perfect balance of tequila, fresh blueberries, lime and mint. And possibly the best margarita I’ve had in a long time. Which is saying something for this classic-on-the-rocks-with-salt kind of gal.
When it comes to margaritas, I tend to stick with a golden margarita or when I’m feeling crazy, venture to the spicy side. But when I was reading my Cooking Light and saw these Blueberry Margaritas, I knew they were would be happening soon. Especially when I saw the ingredient list and knew they wouldn’t be super sweet. And that color. How can you turn that down??
Blueberries are plentiful at the store right now and this would be the perfect batch cocktail to serve at any summer gathering, especially the fourth of July. So often vibrantly colored drinks get their color from artificial additives. But this beauty gets it all from the blueberries. And the taste? Out of this world. Nothing can quite replicate the fresh blueberries muddled with the mint. Add some lime juice and tequila and the perfect summer cocktail is yours. Is it Happy Hour yet?
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 20 mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups silver tequila
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Lime wedges for salting rim
- 8 toothpicks
- Mint for garnish, if desired
- Combine water and sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved and set aside to cool.
- Thread 1/2 cup blueberries onto toothpicks to use for garnish. Set aside.
- Place mint leaves and remaining 1 1/2 cups blueberries in a pitcher and muddle to release the juices. Add sugar mixture, tequila and lime juice and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place salt on a small plate.Run a lime wedge around rim of glass and dip moistened edge into salt.
- Add ice to glass and strain desired amount of Blueberry Margarita into glass. Garnish with berries and mint leave.
Serving Size:8 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1598mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 17g Protein: 1g