My husband had a business meeting a few weeks ago and wasn’t home for dinner. In our house that usually means one of two things: the kids and I go out to eat, or we have breakfast for dinner. Since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, you can guess how I voted. Although there was some initial disagreement about what we do, there wasn’t a single complaint after I made these Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes.
I’ve never made pancakes with cornmeal before, but it gives the cakes a great texture and adds just a bit of crunch to the edges. The pancakes still stay nice and light, though, because of the tangy buttermilk, and you can’t go wrong with the addition of fresh, juicy blueberries. We topped ours with maple syrup, but I think a blueberry-lemon syrup would be heavenly, too. Hmmm….maybe the next time Pat has a dinner meeting…
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 -1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Additional butter or cooking spray for skillet
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl and whisk together. Add buttermilk, eggs and melted butter in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir to incorporate.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Oil or butter pan if desired. Scoop 1/4 cup of pancake batter into pan and dot with blueberries. Cook pancake for 1-2 minutes and flip. Cook another minute and remove from pan. Repeat with remaining batter and blueberries. Serve warm with maple syrup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 4gSugar: 20gProtein: 14g