What could be better that starting your day with a warm blueberry coffee cake right out of the oven? In my eyes, not a whole lot. Give me some hot coffee, the newspaper and a warm breakfast and I'm in heaven. This Blueberry Coffee Cake is the perfect addition to a Sunday brunch or makes a great mid week pick-me-up. Add some scrambled eggs, and you have a rock star breakfast.
I know, I know, coffee cake? Seriously? Nothing like a whole day’s worth of calories in one piece. But not with this recipe. This healthier version makes it easier to have that special treat. It has whole wheat flour substituted for part of the white flour and greek yogurt to replace some of the fat. It’s full of blueberry goodness and topped with a sweet crumble. No, definitely not the type of breakfast to splurge on every day, but perfect for a little something special. Or just because. Do I have you convinced yet? Try it and see for yourself. You can thank me later.
- Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, the baking soda and salt. Gently fold in the blueberries and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. (About 5 minutes) Add the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and greek yogurt.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a food processor combine the 1/4 cup cold butter, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/3 cup flour and 1/3 cup sugar. Pulse until mixture is a coarse crumble.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 429mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 7g