Do you know the only way you can make a BLT with garden fresh tomatoes better? Add a layer of smoky grilled avocado to it. Pretty much summer perfection on a plate.
Have you ever grilled an avocado? If you haven’t, you need to change that ASAP. We used it to take an ordinary sandwich and make it guest-worthy by making a BLT with Grilled Avocado.
We use our grill as much as possible in the summer, especially when we have friends over. We love to snack on Grilled Peppers with Goat Cheese, and you can’t get an easier dessert than these Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone. But grilled avocados? Those have to be one of my favorites.
I love avocado any way I can get it, but putting avocado on the grill infuses flavor that can’t be beaten. The smoky flavors that develop are absolutely divine. It’s just an added bonus that the avocado keeps it bright green color when grilled and adds a gorgeous punch of color to the sandwich.
You really can’t beat the flavor of home-grown tomatoes in August, especially in Minnesota. Our growing season is so short, so we make the most of summer produce when we have it and let it do the heavy lifting when we have friends over. Simply add grilled avocado, crisp bacon, lettuce from the garden and crusty bread and you have a perfect foundation for the ultimate meal on the patio.
BLTs have always been a summer staple in our house and the added touch of the grilled avocado makes it unique without being a ton of work. Seriously the best 5 minutes I can spend on the grill. Simple entertaining at its finest.
- fresh bread
- 2 pieces lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 6 pieces thick-sliced bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 avocado, pitted and halved
- olive oil or grapeseed oil
To grill the avocado:
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Brush avocado halves with olive or grapeseed oil and place directly on grates. Grill for 3-5 minutes or until avocado is charred with grill marks yet not mushy. Turn and grill for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from grill.
To make sandwich:
- Slice grilled avocado and spread slices on ciabatta bread. Layer with bacon, lettuce and tomato. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80 Total Fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 4g Protein: 1g