Do you have ripe bananas on your counter? These Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are guaranteed to get a thumbs up from everyone!
Am I the only one who always has ripe bananas on the counter? And in the freezer? I swear we can’t eat them fast enough. Or maybe I overbuy so I have some ripe ones on hand for baking? All things banana are a hit in this house, like Banana Bread, Banana Muffins and even Slow Cooker Oatmeal. But nothing makes a day better than coming home and seeing a pan of Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting sitting on the counter.
Whenever I want to have a special snack, I know these banana bars will get a thumbs up from everyone. These take 5 minutes to mix together and can be eaten frosted or right out of the oven. We prefer ours cold, but I always test a corner before they get frosted. The smell is just too tempting when they come out of the oven!
Filled with mashed banana and slathered with cream cheese frosting, these bars are the perfect combination of dessert and banana bread. And since they make a big pan, they are perfect for a crowd. Don’t have a group to feed? No worries, just pop them in the freezer and pull them out when the craving hits. Instant gratification.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium overripe bananas mashed
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
To make the Banana Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 Grease a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and mix thoroughly. Stir in sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; stir into the batter. Mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting with the cream cheese frosting.
To make the Frosting:
- Mix butter and cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar a cup at a time and mix until smooth. Thin with milk if necessary.
We like these best cold. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g