Craving comfort foods? Slather this Baked Goat Cheese and Tomato Dip over warm bread. A great appetizer recipe for parties, too!
Anyone who knows me or Lisa is very familiar with our love of goat cheese. Rarely do we miss an opportunity to sneak it into a dish. So naturally I couldn’t resist trying this recipe for a Baked Goat Cheese and Tomato Dip. It combines two of my favorite things: the fresh flavors of tomato bruschetta and goat cheese.
The tomato mixture can be made days in advance so all you have to do is layer it over the goat cheese mixture and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes before guests arrive. It doesn’t get much simpler than that.
Serve this Baked Goat Cheese and Tomato Dip with plenty of warm baguette slices – and watch it go quickly!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite-diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, crushed red pepper and sugar and stir for 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 minute and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the tomato mixture to reduce and thicken.
- Remove from heat when it has reached the desired consistency.
- Stir in the basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a handheld mixer to blend the goat cheese and cream cheese together.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish (a pie plate works well as does an 11 x 7 dish). Spread the cheese mixture into the dish and top with the tomato mixture.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until heated through.
adapted from Cooking Light
Serving Size:3 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 197mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 5g