Apples aren’t just for sweet treats. Serve up these sweet and spicy Apple Bacon Jalapeño Poppers at your next party!
There are some foods that are simply synonymous with football. I’m talking wings, nachos, chili, pizza…the list goes on and on. But don’t forget the tried and true jalapeño popper in the midst of all that football food goodness. These little babies have been a mainstay at nearly every game day party I’ve ever attended, and they are always a crowd pleaser. So this recipe for Apple Bacon Jalapeño Poppers may seem like a no-brainer to you. But adding a bit of tart Granny Smith apple and savory green onions to the mix takes these pops to a crazy addictive level.
Prep for these bad boys is pretty minimal. I made the cream cheese filling the night before and kept it in the fridge without any problem. But these Apple Bacon Jalapeño Poppers don’t require much prep at all. The only thing that is a bit cumbersome is gutting the peppers. Make sure you wear gloves if you’re sensitive to jalapeño juice.
Pat was skeptical of the flavor combination for these Apple Bacon Jalapeño Poppers. Why mess with a good thing, right? Then he tasted them and couldn’t stop eating the spicy sweetness. Try them and see.
I bet you can’t eat just one.
Bacon & Apple Jalapeño Poppers
- 10 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved, seeds and membranes removed
- 10 thin slices center cut bacon, cut in half
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, core and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil.
- Heat bacon in the microwave for 60-90 seconds or until bacon starts to shrivel. Drain on a paper towel.
- Combine cream cheese, apple and green onions in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide cream cheese filling evenly among jalapenos. Wrap each jalapeno half with bacon and place on baking sheet. Secure bacon with toothpicks if necessary. Bake for 30-35 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Serve warm.