These Apple Bacon Bites are a little bit sweet, a little bit savory & a whole lotta good! Make extra as they’ll be the hit of your next appetizer spread.
‘Tis the season!
And I’m not just talking about the holidays, friends.
November and December mark the beginning of another lesser known season – Opal® apple season. And these Apple Bacon Bites are the best way to celebrate!
Never heard of Opal apples? Neither had the cashier when I was checking out at the grocery store a few weeks ago. But you’ll definitely want to tune in to this season as Opals not only make excellent eating apples (think crunchy and sweet), but they also have this awesome characteristic that cannot be overstated: they don’t turn brown after you cut them. How is that for life changing?
Typically raw apples will brown within a few minutes to an hour of being cut. Not so with Opals. And that non-browning characteristic makes them the perfect topping for these Apple Bacon Bites. This easy warm appetizer seamlessly combines the flavors of tangy goat cheese, savory caramelized onions, salty bacon and sweet apples – what’s not to love here?
P.S. Need a quick tutorial on how to caramelize onions? We got ya.
- 24 phyllo cups
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 Opal Apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons basil, cut in ribbons
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix goat cheese and milk together until creamy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place cheese mixture in a plastic bag and snip the edge of the corner. Squeeze 1 teaspoon goat cheese mixture into each phyllo cup. Place 1 teaspoon caramelized onions on top of cheese mixture. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until cups are golden brown. Remove from oven and place 1 teaspoon of diced Opal Apple on top. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 8 Carbohydrates: 2g