Don't miss the little-known ingredient that gives this tender Almond Pound Cake its rich and decadent flavor!
Why is a pound cake called a pound cake?
Why do you use almond paste in this pound cake recipe?
What is the best pan for this Almond Pound Cake?
Here’s what I used to make this Almond Pound Cake recipe:
- The cake batter is fairly thick, so I rely on my trusty food processor to strong-arm the batter into shape. The result is smooth and silky every time.
- No surprise here; I use my favorite loaf pan for this recipe. USA Pans are my go-to for most any baking pan (and they are dishwasher safe, too).
- It may sound like a bit of an overstatement, but my offset spreader is one of my most-used kitchen tools. Great for spreading and leveling batters and frostings.
Love easy cake recipes? Check out some of these other delicious flavor combinations!
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place sugar and almond paste in a food processor and pulse until combined. It should have the consistency of sand. Add butter and oil to almond paste mixture and mix until the ingredients are well-incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, pulsing to combine after each one. Add vanilla and pulse to combine. Gradually add flour mixture and 1/2 cup milk, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out with a few crumbs. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the topping:
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth, adding additional milk if needed. Stir in extracts. Drizzle over cooled cake and top with sliced almonds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 277mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 8g