Prep time before a party is precious commodity. Recipes that can be done ahead of time make cooking a less stressful endeavor and a party more approachable. Not to mention that extra time means you are a better hostess because you are not rushed. You are prepared, relaxed and have yummy bites to share with your friends. This bruschetta recipe is one that I have had in my collection for many years. It has come and gone from my rotation, but whenever I make it, I wonder why it has been so long since I have served it. It’s pretty, it’s tasty, and even people who don’t care for olives devour it.
There are a couple of key parts that can be done ahead of time, giving you more time the day of your party. The crostini can be made several days prior and the feta cheese mixture and sun-dried tomato tapenade the day before. The more things that can be crossed off the list ahead of time, the better.
Assembly of the bruschetta happens shortly before serving time and can be a bit putzy, but once you get in a rhythm, the bruschetta will fly onto the serving platter. The colors on the bruschetta are amazing, adding a great visual component to your spread. The flavors do not disappoint, it tastes as good as it looks. And that makes your putzing worthwhile. You will look like the hostess with the mostest and didn’t have to spend all day in the kitchen to achieve it. Delish!
- 1 loaf French bread
- 4 oz. Crumbled Feta cheese
- 4 oz. Light cream cheese softened
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 oz. Kalamata olives coarsely chopped
- 1- 7 ounce jar julienne sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 10 basil leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Slice the bread into ½ inch slices and toast in oven until lightly browned (about 9 minutes). Rub the bread with one of the garlic cloves after you remove it from the oven. Can be made two days ahead, put in air tight container once it has cooled.
- Combine Feta and cream cheese until smooth.
- Put remaining garlic cloves, olives and sun-dried tomatoes in bowl of food processor. Pulse until coarsley chopped but not pureed. Slice basil in ribbons and stir into tapenade.
- Right before serving, spread crostini with cream cheese mixture and top with olive tomato tapenade.