Looking for a new summer cocktail? This not-too-sweet Strawberry-Kiwi Daiquiri is the perfect thirst quencher for long, lazy nights on the patio.
Here is the definition of daiquiri according to Wikipedia:
A daiquiri is a family of cocktails whose main ingredients are rum, citrus (typically lime juice), and sugar or other sweetener.
However, that is NOT what I think of when I think of a daiquiri. I think of uber-sweet and slushy drinks with an umbrella in them. I love the umbrella, but the sweet slushy drinks are not my thing. When Anna and I were in Miami for BlogHer Food last weekend, we went a day early at stayed at the Surfcomber Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel. If you have never stayed at a Kimpton, you need to change that ASAP! One of my many favorite things about their hotels is the hosted happy hour (The complimentary glasses of Prosecco at check-in and free wifi are bonuses, too!). During the happy hour, the bartender was handing out samples of one of their bar menu drinks, a version of a Strawberry-Kiwi Daiquiri. I would have never ordered this had I just seen it on the menu, but because of the sample, I gave it a whirl. Mind=blown. This is not your syrupy sweet, slushy daiquiri. This is a daiquiri the way they are meant to be. And it took me exactly 2 days before I replicated it upon our return. Holla! Our drink of summer has been found.
I’m not a fan of really sweet drinks, but sometimes I want a change of pace from my favorite gin and tonic (tall with two limes, please). As a rule I’m not really a rum drinker, unless it’s in a mojito, but I think this Strawberry-Kiwi Daiquiri is going to change that. The rum takes a little planning, but the only other ingredients are fresh lime juice and simple syrup, another bonus for summertime ease.
If you’re looking for us this summer, we’ll be on the deck, cocktail in hand, enjoying the fabulous weather. Cheers!
- 1-750 ml bottle white rum
- 3 cups diced strawberries
- 2 cups peeled and diced kiwi
- 3½ parts Strawberry-Kiwi infused rum (see recipe below)
- 1 part fresh lime juice
- 1 part simple syrup
- Kiwi slices for garnish (optional)
- Place chopped fruit in a glass container, add rum and cover. Refrigerate for 36-48 hours. Strain fruit and store infused rum in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Shake to combine and strain into glass. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with kiwi slice if desired.