It’s January – resolution time, right? Do you even make them? A lot of times we do and break them by the 12th of January, but this year, I made some goals for our eating habits. As in eating a more balanced diet. We’re not eliminating anything, just getting more fruit and vegetables on the table. I’m pretty lucky because Charlie will eat pretty much anything and love it. Greta…well, not so much. Fruit, yes, but getting vegetables other than green beans in her is pretty challenging. She loves the flavors of Asian food, so I thought I would try my hand with a veggie-filled Spicy Sweet Chicken Stir Fry. Guess what? She can’t get enough of it. It’s loaded with vegetables – carrots, red peppers, broccoli, pea pods – and she will eat every. single. one. of them. What? I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this earlier. The honey ginger sauce with a gentle sriracha kick has Greta asking for this Spicy Sweet Chicken Stir Fry once a week, and it’s easy for me to satisfy her request because it is SO fast to make. Add some white or brown rice and you have a tasty meal packed with vegetables.
Along with our eating goals, Kevin has been working on reducing clutter around our house. He has a hard and fast rule that he follows in his closet: whenever something new comes in, something old must leave. ALWAYS. Kevin will never just hang a new shirt up without removing at least one old shirt. I’m always amazed by this, and we have been working on the rest of the house to get rid of the stuff that we don’t need. Not as much as he would like, but we’re slowly working on it. (I really DO need 4 black sweaters. Really.)
What I’m really tickled about is that we are helping one lucky reader do the same thing with their pans this January. It’s out with the old cookware and in with the new. A group of 9 bloggers is participating in a giveaway where one lucky reader will win an 11-piece Anolon Nouvelle Copper pan set! (Bonus pans not included.) Get ready to get rid of those old dinged up pans and fill your cabinet with these beauties. (This giveaway is closed.)
Check out these other great bloggers and earn up to three more bonus entries!
The Law Student’s Wife – Spicy Braised Green Beans with Feta
Climbing Grier Mountain – Tex-Mex Risotto with Chorizo and Red Peppers
Rachel Cooks – Easy Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Dessert for Two – Skillet Spanakopita
Cooking with Books – Orange Ginger Shrimp Stir Fry
Bakeaholic Mama – General Tso Cauliflower
Nutmeg Nanny – Spicy Penne alla Vodka
Lemons for Lulu – Orange Glazed Pork Chops
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts, thinly sliced in strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 2 cups broccoli flowerets
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons minced ginger
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Place the corn starch, salt and pepper in a large plastic bag and combine. Add chicken, seal bag and shake to coat chicken strips.
- Heat the canola oil in a stir fry pan or large, deep skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides but not cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Add next 5 ingredients (garlic through shredded carrots) and cook until vegetables are crisp tender and chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, sriracha sauce, honey, ginger and soy sauce. Whisk to combine. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables and cook until heated through. (This makes a lot of sauce, so add as much as your taste desires.)