Everyone loves a good comfort food recipe. These delicious Saucy Asian Meatballs can be made ahead of time making them an excellent choice for easy entertaining.
Meatballs are such a comfort food, yet I hardly ever make my own. Why? I’m lucky enough to have an amazing Italian deli not far from my house that does them right. But meatballs are so versatile and so universally liked, why stop at the Italian variety? That’s one of the reasons I love this recipe for Saucy Asian Meatballs from Gimme Some Oven. It’s traditional comfort food – meatballs – spiced up with Asian flavors and taken off the typical pile of noodles and used as an appetizer.
The combination of ground pork and ground beef gives the meatballs depth and keeps them tender. This is an easy make-ahead appetizer for any gathering. Simply bake the meatballs and store them in the fridge (or even the freezer!) until you are ready to serve them. Gently rewarm them in either the oven or microwave and toss them with the warmed sauce. Voila! You have a hot, hearty appetizer to share with friends and family.
People might think you spent all day in the kitchen slaving over homemade meatballs. Let them think that. Your secret is safe with me.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup Panko
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ⅔ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Meatballs are done when no longer pink inside.
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in a bowl. Pour over warm meatballs and gently stir until covered.