I don’t know what the weather is like where you live, but the Midwest is in the midst of a late summer heatwave. The weather makes it hard to believe that NCAA Football season starts today, especially when the game is going to be a scorcher. (These are times I’m thankful that our seats are in the shade. Ask me again in November, and I’m quite certain you will get a different response.) These Rosemary Gin Spritzers are the perfect way to kickoff the football season and the long weekend. Summer, meet fall. Fall, meet summer. Refreshing and light with the rosemary syrup giving the gin and club soda the perfect dose of fall. Just a hint, but not leaf-changing…yet. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice, and you are ready for kickoff.
Normally when football season starts, I’m chomping at the bit for my favorite fall foods (apple pie anyone?) and pulling my sweatshirts from my closet. This year, however, I’m still hanging on to summer. So while the heat is a bit much, I’m still not quite ready for apple recipes, sweatshirts and the kids back in school. So cheers to a long holiday weekend with Rosemary Gin Spritzers. I’m squeezing every second out of summer. Next week reality hits, ready or not.
- 4 sprigs of rosemary, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces Gin
- 1 ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 ounce Rosemary Simple Syrup
- Club soda
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil for the sugar to dissolve. Boil for 10 minutes and then let the rosemary sit in the syrup for the flavors to infuse together. (30 min- overnight) The longer it sits, the more pronounced the rosemary flavor.
- Fill a low ball glass with ice. Add gin, lemon juice, and rosemary syrup. Stir to combine. Top with Club Soda and garnish with a rosemary sprig before serving.