We are trying to adopt the Meatless Monday mantra at our house. For those of you who don’t know about Meatless Monday, it’s a pledge to eat meat-free one meal per week as a way to improve our health and the health of our planet. If you’ve never tried this before, summer is the best time to give meat-free eating a go as there are so many alternatives for eating well. One of our favorite Meatless Monday meals this time of year is this Orzo with Roasted Garbanzo Beans.
My kids called orzo “rice” for the longest time, and I can’t blame them. It looks similar, but it’s actually pasta that’s been cut short and shaped like a large grain of rice. Garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas) are a staple in Middle Eastern dishes. They are great sources of fiber and protein, making them a reasonable alternative for a meatless meal. I roasted the garbanzo beans with some cumin and chili powder to give them a crunchy contrast to the orzo. Fresh oregano, lemon juice and goat cheese round out this dish which can be served warm, cold or at room temperature – perfect for dinner one night and leftover lunch the next day. I love meals that pull double-duty like that.
Looking for more Meatless Monday inspiration? Check out these tasty options:
- Grilled Baby Portabella Pesto Flatbreads from Aggie’s Kitchen
- Spinach Chickpea Saute with Fried Bread Toasts from Girl Versus Dough
- 15 Bean Soup from A Cedar Spoon
- Crispy Eggplant Caprese Stacks from The Comfort of Cooking
- One Pan Pasta from Marin Mama Cooks
- Southwest Quinoa Sliders with Avocado Cream Sauce from Damn Delicious