Quench your summer thirst with this super refreshing Mango Ginger Agua Fresca.
Summer is my favorite time to entertain because the party is always outside (plus I don’t have to clean my house!). Set the table, stock the cooler, fire up the grill and settle in to savor an al fresco evening with family or friends. And while we love our cocktails here at Garnish with Lemon, I also keep the kids and designated drivers in mind when we have guests for dinner. This Mango Ginger Agua Fresca is way more refreshing than a bottled sports drink and leagues healthier than a can of soda.
Have you ever had agua fresca? It’s essentially a mix of real fruit, water and a hint of sugar that’s popular in Mexico and Central America. It literally means “fresh water” and is incredibly refreshing, especially on a hot summer day. Because I can’t leave well enough alone, I added some fresh ginger to my agua fresca. It gives the drink just a bit of zip and is a tasty complement to the sweetness of the mango. (FYI, this beverage would look gorgeous in one of those clear acrylic decanters with the spigot, in case anyone is looking for a birthday gift for me.) Float a few mango cubes in the drink along with the ice, and have guests help themselves. My bet is they will be sipping Mango Ginger Agua Fresca long after the sun sets.
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cups of water, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar (depending on the sweetness of your mango)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place mango, ginger and 1 cup water in a blender. Puree until smooth. Press liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a small pitcher or large measuring cup. Add remaining cup of water, sugar and lime juice. Gently stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Fill two glasses with ice and evenly divide agua fresca between glasses. Serve immediately.