No question about it, game day fare rarely aligns with all of those New Year’s resolutions for health and wellness. A typical Super Bowl spread has chips, dips, beer, pizza, chili, wings…all delicious, but not exactly a Dr. Oz-endorsed meal. Looking for an alternative to help you stay on track with commitment to healthy eating ? These Italian Sausage Hoagies are the perfect middle ground to satisfy football fans and weight watchers alike.
Made with turkey sausage, these sandwiches are packed full of Italian flavor but still manage to keep you from blowing your daily caloric budget on one meal. They go together quickly and are a fun choice for groups since the sausage and pepper mixture can be made in advance and kept warm in the crockpot. Make up a hoagie bar and have guests serve themselves during the game. Sounds like a game-winning play to me.
P.S. These sandwiches are also a great option for a quick weeknight meal. You can prep the sausage and sauce a few days in advance and keep it in the fridge until you need it. Briefly rewarm the mixture, pop the sammies under the broiler and you have a warm meal on the table in minutes. Perfect for those days when everyone is scattering in different directions for practices, meetings, etc.
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Place hoagie rolls cut sides up on a baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add marinara sauce, bell pepper and ground pepper to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer sauce for 6-8 minutes. The bell pepper should be crisp-tender.
- Divide the sausage mixture among the hoagie rolls. Top with cheese and broil until the cheese melts.