Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of my favorite cheesy indulgences. I may even go as far as to suggest them for my kids’ lunches on weekends, just so I can eat one myself. After all, I always tell my kids that I’m not a short order cook, and we all eat the same food. Practice what you preach, right?
My kids put ketchup on their grilled cheese sandwiches so I knew this Grilled Gruyere, Cheddar and Olive Tapenade Sandwich would be a hit because of the sun-dried tomatoes in the tapenade. Even my pickier eater, Greta, loved it (sans crusts, of course!). Some things don’t change, but I’ll gladly cut the crusts off for her if it means she will eat this beauty, because that means I get to eat it, too.
The nutty flavor of the Gruyere cheese transforms it into a grown up grilled cheese. No processed American cheese product here! Add the cheddar and the salty olive tapenade, and you are pretty much in grilled cheese heaven. No Gruyere? Feel free to substitute Asiago; you will still get tasty results.
Grown up grilled cheese perfection. Meatless Monday success once again.
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil and drained
- ¾ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 8 slices large tomato
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, shaved
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Soft butter to spread on outside slices of bread for grilling
- Place sun-dried tomatoes, olives and garlic in a food processor and pulse until a paste forms. Add olive oil and pulse until combined. Add more oil if need to get to desired consistency.
- Preheat skillet over medium to medium low heat.
- Spread a thick layer of tapenade on a slice of bread. Top with ¾ ounce sliced Gruyere. Continue the layers with 2 Tomato slices and finish with 2 pieces of cheddar. Top with other slice of bread. Spread butter on the top of the bread and then place butter side down in skillet.
- Spread butter on top of bread in pan and cook for 3 minutes or until bread is lightly browned. Flip and cook for additional 3 minutes or until bread is browned. Repeat process for remaining sandwiches.
- Slice and serve immediately.