Summer vacation is almost here. The school day count is down to T-3 and soon the late nights of playing outside and lazy mornings will be here. Along with that comes the heat and humidity…and turning on the oven or stove to prepare dinner is the last thing you want to do. Believe me, I’m not complaining, This winter has been the longest one I can remember. EVER. So I’m looking forward to the nights of cool dinners, and this Gazpacho is one of my new favorites.
We had this soup at book club in May when our dear friend Amy hosted. Amy LOVES good food, but her dislike of being in the kitchen is just as strong :). So when she whipped out this deliciously amazing Gazpacho, I knew I had to share it. Amy doesn’t even THINK about recipes with more than 5 ingredients, so if she made it, you know it is worth it. Chop, pour, puree, chill and – voila – dinner! How’s that for in-a-flash healthy, cool, yummy dinner? Pull out all your favorite mix-ins and personalize the Gazpacho to fit your mood. Avocado, cilantro, chips, feta, croutons…the sky is the limit for the tasty combinations.
Ok, summer, bring it. Bring on the heat. We are armed and ready!
- 1 English or regular cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and finely diced
- ½ small red onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1½ cups v8 juice
- ½ cup ice water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Feta Cheese Crumbles
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and puree with immersion blender until desired thickness is reached. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours to let flavors develop. Serve cold with optional toppings.