Nothing says summer like a fudgy brownie ice cream sandwich…especially one that is super simple to make!
I have a long, standing battle with making ice cream sandwiches. I love to eat them, but photographing them is a different story. We attempted to take pictures of ice cream sandwiches three different times last year, and all of our efforts ended up a gooey, sticky mess. Not fun, and – oh-so-frustrating. But it didn’t stop me. This summer I was bound and determined to get it right and finally had success with these Fudgy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches. I mean, really, brownies and ice cream? Hello, heaven!
Eating an ice cream sandwich always takes me back to when I was a kid and the ice cream truck would drive down our street. I’d usually choose an ice cream sandwich and was happy for about 45 seconds (or as long as it took me to eat it!). I still love ice cream sandwiches, but these chewy, fudgy brownie layers with vanilla bean ice cream in between make you want to savor them as long as you can. They may even cause you to hide a few in the back of the freezer from the kids. Not that I would ever do that or anything.
The fudgy brownies are really the killer addition to these ice cream sandwiches as they stay chewy even when frozen. And did I tell you how easy they are? Easy peasy. Bake the brownie layers, spread the ice cream, freeze and slice. Can’t beat that, especially since you cut them in rectangles or squares. No worries about the top and bottom being the same size. Summer lovin’ at it’s finest! And it’s easiest. Promise. Make them and see for yourself.
Your kids You will love them.
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Pint Vanilla Ice Cream (softened)
- Line the bottom of two 8 or 9 inch square pans with parchemnt paper, letting the extra hang over the sides. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave until butter is just melted (mine took about 45 seconds). Stir until it is mixed together.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time and stir well after each addition. Add the flour and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter equally among the two prepared pans and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until done. Remember the brownies are very thin. Remove the brownies form the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once brownies are cool, spread the softened vanilla ice cream across the top of one of the pan of brownies. Remove the other brownie layer using the parchment paper and press on top of the ice cream. Cover and freeze for 5 hours or until set.
- Remove from pan and cut into desired shape (squares or rectangles) and wrap individually for easy freezing.