There is nothing like a good Caesar salad. I mean a really GOOD Caesar salad. It always makes me happy when I order a Caesar salad at a restaurant and it’s tasty. Nothing like it. (Except for maybe a good wedge, but that’s another post entirely.) I am pretty particular about how I like my Caesar dressing. I don’t like the creamy style, I’m more of a purist. Except for the raw egg at home. Still have a hard time with that, especially giving it to my kids. Over the years I’ve tried dozens of recipes and every bottled caesar dressing out there and haven’t been happy. Gloppy, thick, no taste. Not what I was looking for. Finally I found a recipe on Epicurious, and it is the bomb! Light, no egg, and easy to whip up. I can have good Caesar salad whenever I want!
I changed a few things in the original recipe to suit my taste and cut some prep time. Why chop up anchovies when you sub out anchovy paste? Add some grilled chicken breast on top and you have a fabulous week night dinner: light, full of protein, bright greens and that classic Caesar taste. Delicious! It makes a perfect dinner, especially after all of the heavy meals over the holidays. Gone are the days when I didn’t have to watch my caloric intake. But this salad is so good, I forget that I have to. Love it when that happens.
- 2 Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ teaspoon Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 cup Croutons
- Anchovy fillets
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Season chicken breasts with Northwoods Seasoning, salt and pepper. Grill 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from grill and tent with foil.
- Whisk anchovy paste, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce together. Slowly add oil and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Place romaine hearts on plate and drizzle with dressing. Add chicken on top and garnish with croutons, anchovies and shaved Parmesan Cheese.