Roasted asparagus is topped with a balsamic brown butter sauce for a delicious taste of spring.
Mother Nature is one sly fox. Last weekend we Minnesotans luxuriated in 60 degree weather. We slowly cracked our front doors and were dumbfounded to find we could go outside without Gore-Tex and down-filled jackets. We reintroduced ourselves to our neighbors. We walked around all day with stupid, smirky smiles on our faces and felt invincible. But tomorrow? We’re going to be hit with another winter storm and 6 inches of snow.
I’m SO over winter, but until Mother Nature agrees to release her grip, I can only dream of the spoils of spring. Fortunately the weather is more springlike in other parts of the country, and and they generously fill my grocery store with little hints of what’s to come, like freshly picked asparagus.
Do you find asparagus to be a polarizing vegetable? I know it’s not up there with brussels sprouts, but I still think people either love it or hate it. Me? I fall in the love category, and I enjoy finding new ways to cook with it. This Balsamic Brown Butter Asparagus is quick and simple (think a handful of ingredients) and yet still supercharged with flavor. The brown butter, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar give the asparagus a richness that you don’t usually find with a lot of asparagus recipes. Super yummy!
Note to all those lucky enough to live in a state where spring has already arrived: Thanks for the asparagus. Now will you please FedEx me some sunshine?
Love this recipe? Just click the button in the recipe card below, and it will be automatically saved in your ZipList Personal Recipe Box along with all of your other favorites. Plan your meals and create grocery lists all in one place!
- 1¼ pounds asparagus, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place asparagus on a large baking sheet and spray spears with cooking spray. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of your asparagus. You want them tender but not shriveled. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add butter to a small skillet and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring the butter or shaking the pan occasionally. (If you're using a stainless steel skillet, you'll see the color start to change to an amber color.) Immediately remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Pour over asparagus and toss to coat. Serve warm.