Remember these? I gave you a sneak peek of them a few weeks ago when I wrote about the Maple Ginger Salmon. These Bacon Asparagus Bundles are my family’s new favorite way to eat asparagus. Why? Bacon, of course! This recipe has the best of both worlds: roasted asparagus with the distinctive flavor of sesame oil and slices of thick-cut bacon caramelized with brown sugar. When you combine the two, you have a mouthwatering sweet and savory combination that perfumes the entire house while it roasts…so yummy!
These Bacon Asparagus Bundles make an impressive-looking side dish for nearly any meal, but these could also be a fun and unexpected appetizer if you used a smaller piece of bacon and a single stalk of asparagus. And they couldn’t be easier to prepare. Wrap the bacon around the asparagus, slather with sesame oil dressing, sprinkle with sesame seeds and let the oven do the rest of the work while you enjoy a well-deserved glass of wine before dinner.
I’m not sure you could pass these bundles off as a “healthy” side dish, but anything that gets my son to eat a green vegetable – and strongly flavored asparagus, no less – makes the grade in my book. Do you have any addictive asparagus recipes? Share with us!
- 1 bunch of asparagus (mine was about 25 spears), tough ends snapped off
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray a wire cooling rack with nonstick spray and place it on the baking sheet.
- Evenly divide asparagus spears into bunches and wrap a piece of bacon around each bundle. Place bundles on wire rack on baking sheet.
- Combine olive oil, sesame oil, brown sugar and minced garlic in a small bowl. Slather the sesame dressing over the asparagus bundles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until bacon is crispy.